Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fifty-Boy 25 Mashed Potatoes Everyday

Fifty-Boy

25

Mashed Potatoes Everyday



I asked the lady in the gift shop how she liked Florida. I figured by her accent she was from New York. She said it was like eating mashed potatoes everyday.

I told her I liked mashed potatotes.

She said, "Look, hon, can I talk to you?" She was from Park Slope in Brooklyn.

She said, "You been coming in here every day. You're not a wackadoo, you're a nice guy. I like you, and I know you don't know, but I gotta' tell ya' people around here are different from up there. They look kinda funny on people who pay everything in cash... And leave big tips."

"They do?"

"Didn't think of that, did ya'? ...There was a big colored guy in here, all in pale blue, asking about you like you were old friends, from your old neighborhood maybe?"

"Really?" I wondered if she could tell I was shitting myself.


"Melinda, the maid...? She told him you went walking down the beach... Toward Indian Rocks."

"Ho..." Suddenly I couldn't breath. "He was here?"

"'Bout and hour ago, I'd say, him and a short guy the big one called Pauly..."

"Well... thanks."

She said, "So you'll take a walk..."

"Yeah, that's good." I paid for my sandwich. "Thanks again."

She handed me my change and said, "Be careful, doll."

I walked out with my havarti-sprout sandwich, mango yogurt, and spring water, threw the whole thing in the trash and headed for the door. I was getting sick. I guess hotels weren't meant for living in anyway.

Luckily I liked to walk and I always carried the cash with me. I was thinking, Major Blue and Paul Meanos... How the hell did they find me?



No comments:

Post a Comment